Who wants to stay inside on a glorious summer day? Summer is the perfect time to spend time outside doing fun things with those you love. You and your family and friends can enjoy lots of fun activities outdoors, all while working up an appetite for a satisfying summertime BBQ. Have fun together on a budget of any size with these 5 great family activities to do in Charleston this summer.
- Head down to the beach or local pool. Gather up the sunscreen, toys and essentials and enjoy a respite from the regular routine with a day soaking up the sun and relaxing by the water.
- Create your own backyard games with just a few supplies and add them to outdoor activity options when hosting a get-together or spending quality time together as a family. Corn hole and horseshoes are always fun, crowd favorites.
- Make nighttime something to look forward to by putting together a backyard movie night. Pick a family favorite, get the popcorn and snacks ready, and settle down under the stars for a fun night outside. You can also check out local parks and even drive-in movie theaters for their outdoor movie night schedules.
- Get the family into gardening together. What child doesn’t like to get a little dirty? Show your kids how they can grow their own flowers or even fruits and vegetables. Lettuce, basil, tomatoes, and radishes are relatively easy to grow and make great options for first-time gardeners.
- Explore the great outdoors. Go to a local park or even your own back yard. Help children find and identify small animals and create an explorer’s bag to collect nature finds. Children are naturally curious and love learning, playing and exploring outdoors.
There are so many things that you can do outdoors to make this summer fun and memorable, but what about those pesky mosquitoes? While you’re having fun outside, how do you protect yourself against mosquito bites?
Avoid the Bite of Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes can be annoying and tend to leave swollen and itchy bites on you and your friends and family. These days especially, it also worth taking into account that the Zika virus can also potentially be transmitted from mosquitoes. Protect yourself and loved ones from mosquitoes. Some ways to play outdoors this summer with fewer bites include:
- Wearing clothing that covers more of the body, such a long pants and long-sleeved shirts. Wear white and light colors to stay cool and also be less attractive to mosquitoes.
- Removing standing water sources that can serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Check bird baths and upturned garbage covers for stagnant water. Clean out pools often and watch out for areas near lakes and ponds.
- Using insect repellent before heading outdoors. Insect repellants with DEET, Picaridin, Oil of lemon eucalyptus, 2-undercanone or IR3535 are recommended from the CDC.
- Avoiding flowery fragrances.
Save yourself and your family from unnecessary mosquito and insect bites while enjoying the outdoors. These are only a few of the steps you can take to avoid getting bitten up while swimming, camping, biking, going for an evening stroll or playing in the backyard. For those that live in Charleston and surrounding areas that are prone to high levels of mosquitoes, Contact Clark’s Pest Control.
Clark’s Pest Control in South Carolina sends professional technicians to assess an issue and provide scheduled treatments to add a barrier of protection from mosquitoes and pests. Outside perimeter treatments, such as liquid insecticides and a 3- to 5- foot band around your Charleston home’s exterior perimeter can keep mosquitoes at bay. Contact an experienced associate at 866-781-4991 to schedule a service.